Friday, November 19, 2010

Sit Down You're Rockin' The Boat- Part Two

So this is the second bit of my story about the interpreted night of my son's musical. Over the last thirteen years we have learned the complicated landscape of interpreting. This night would not break any records or instill me with new hope.

I was asked to show up when the theater doors opened to be an ambassador for the deaf audience. I had already planned to be there to greet friends. The bus from WSD arrives and a staff member runs with me to purchase more tickets because there were last minute people added. Awesome. On the bus an interpreter who had worked the rehearsals gave the kids a synopsis of the show so they could follow along and not hang on everything the interpreter offered. This was an iron clad plan.

What followed was almost funny .... it almost ... would make us laugh if it were a joke....... but it was reality. Our reality is different than other people's.....

No comments:

Post a Comment