Friday, November 19, 2010

Sit Down You're Rockin' The Boat- Part One

So my last post was about my son's birthday landing on the same night his musical was interpreted. It never goes off without a hitch.

Yesterday was the big day. Since he would be at school from 9:15 am - 10:30 pm I decided breakfast should be special. I was going to make his favorite, eggs Benedict! I woke up early and realized the refrigerator was broken and all of the food was room temperature. Not a good start so I dashed out for breakfast burritos.

I asked if it would be fun to have birthday at school. He tells me his friends didn't know. Well it turns out they did and they sang happy birthday in science, his facebook page filled quickly with well wishes. I have a feeling it was fun.

After school the cast and crew eat dinner. I brought cake. The volunteer supervisor approached me and asked what to do about singing to Haddy. I tell her we should sing. She looked a little nervous like she didn't want it to be a bad experience for him. About ten minutes before the kids lined up they started filtering in asking me how to sign Happy Birthday. Soon the food line came in and a senior jumped on a chair and shouted,
"Hey everybody! Pay attention. Today is Haddy's birthday, this is how you sign it." Then 100 kids signed and sang the  Happy Birthday song. They are working on a musical so I am sure you can imagine how beautiful that was.

So far so good. A magical birthday. I dashed out after the cake was served to meet my family and a good friend at a restaurant before the show. We had at this point about 40 people coming to support Haddy. The school has had him for over a year and I expected no problems since I had offered my help and the interpreters were well rehearsed. This was going to be awesome! I wanted to just relax and let him enjoy the night.
Well............... uh this is really a whole different post.

1 comment: