Monday, September 13, 2010

Exciting


I am the parent of a Deaf twelve soon to be thirteen year old. I am also profoundly hearing. I recently was strolling around DeafRead. I must admit I hate reading about the crimes of deaf adults. I choose not to. Sorry folks I find it depressing. This is not how I want the deaf community to present to my family. The community is big and varied enough to afford us this luxury.

On a different topic......OK I am going to brag a bit here so click away if that annoys you...

My deaf son was not arrested today.

My Deaf son was cast in a principal role for a musical today!

He goes to an arts school so this is no easy feat. We were registering at school and I saw the table for sign up. I asked if he wanted to try. He said "No Deaf "points to self* music". My son does not talk let alone sing. A theater teacher told him sign up. I couldn't believe that he thought he shouldn't try because he is deaf. Well 1 audition and 3 callbacks later he was cast.

The show opens in November. He is going to have so much fun.


6 comments:

  1. I love it! Goes without saying the power of encouragement, not only from parents, but from people like his theatre teacher. Congratulations! If only I live close by...I would love to watch him perform.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks! He is going to kill me when he finds out I was bragging but I can't help it. I am just so proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TWO thumbs up!

    Lucky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go, Haddy!

    And way to go, Mel! So many Deaf people try to caution us about the hypothetical Hearing Parent and what they read on DeafRead. You have put the lie to that notion by showing that as a parent, you are an intelligent person who can filter out for themselves what is good from bad about the Deaf community and Deaf culture.

    And, I like your attitude. Yes, promote a healthy sense of being in your son. Show him our artists, poets, actors. Our doctors (medical and Ph.D.), lawyers, and Indian Chiefs. Our hard-working everyman (and woman), and our corporate executives. Teach him that the sky is the limit (and even that's not a limit), and he can be ANYTHING he wants to be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATUALTIONS! I love it when kids find their way into their dreams (especially, when they are uncertain of those first few steps and given a gentle nudge). Please let us know when tickets go on sale -- I totally want to see the show (I'm kind of a play junkie).

    =) Liz

    ReplyDelete