Sunday, September 4, 2011

Well of course it isn't easy...

So my last post was about how nice it is to start the school year in a calm fashion. No issues to confront. The school in on board with my Deaf son. Life is good. Mainstream is really working out. My son loves it and is thrilled school starts next week.

So as a formality I contact the person who manages my son's IEP services to find out what his interpreting services will look like. Last year the plan was a team of 2 highly qualified interpreters full time. I email asking about her vacation. Lamenting the brief time we all had to enjoy our summers. Then almost as an after thought I ask the question. What will his interpreting services look like? I push send and go about my busy day.

A few minutes later I response pops into my inbox. There is a flag on the play my friends. Two new kids entered the district needing interpreters. Two interpreters quit. so now the district is short four..... yes.......FOUR interpreters. *oh sorry for shouting*

So we don't know what next year will look like. There is nothing to fight for at the moment. The school district wants my son to have his services. They are interviewing prospects. I can't force folks to apply for the job. One person I was talking to said that maybe someone could volunteer...... yes dear the same way an airline pilot could volunteer to operate on your brain. Not her fault but it is always exhausting talking to people who know nothing about it. It would be worse if that person worked for the school district so I am patient.

So while other parents are shopping for new jeans and #2 pencils I am leaving offerings to the interpreter fairies.

1 comment:

  1. Great post.It’s best to have an interpreter at hand who knows what he/she is doing. It's good to know that courts take interpreter training seriously, and that there are qualified, professional interpreting services available for most languages.

    ReplyDelete